Army Reservists from 266 (Gloucestershire Volunteer Artillery) Battery, 104 Regiment, based in Bristol, fired a single round
from a 105mm light gun to commemorate the centenary of Britain’s entry into the First World War.
A dozen members of the Battery gathered at the Clifton Observatory overlooking Brunel’s famous Suspension Bridge to hear readings and prayers and then to fire their salute at precisely 2300 hours.
At the start of hostilities 100 years ago the Gloucestershire Volunteer Artillery made up the 1st South Midland Brigade (Gloucestershire), a Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force) unit within the 48th (South Midland) Division.
They served on the Western Front from March 1916 to October 1917 alongside the infantry of the Gloucestershire Regiment before moving to the Italian campaign. A memorial at the Artillery Grounds records that 10 officers and 175 NCOs and other ranks lost their lives serving with The Gloucestershire Royal Field Artillery (Territorials).
266 Battery is one of the most historic military units in the city, with a heritage stretching back to 1625, including more than 150 years based at the Artillery Grounds. 266 Battery was given the Freedom of the City in 2009.
For further information on the First World War commemorations, go to https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/first-world-war-centenary