Lieutenant Colin Webb, until recently the Commanding Officer of thriving Borough of Poole Sea Cadets, has been honoured for his many years of service with the award of the Lord Lieutenant of Dorset’s Certificate for Meritorious Service.
The 48-year-old engineer, who lives in Poole, was himself a cadet at the unit from the age of 12. After just one year out, he became a civilian instructor before taking command 12 years ago.
As a qualified Royal Yachting Association instructor in yachting, sailing and powerboating, he has helped train hundreds of cadets, not just from the Poole area but also from across Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire.
His efforts led to Poole Sea Cadets becoming an RYA-recognised training centre for instruction and qualification of cadets and adults for sailing and powerboating – with windsurfing hopefully following soon.
Colin is remaining with Poole cadets. “But, after 12 years, I just felt it was time for change,” he said. “The Sea Cadets organisation does a wonderful job, offering opportunities for young people which, but for the availability of bursaries, they would not be able to afford.
“We see a huge and positive difference in cadets as they progress. One thing we encourage is social contact, which in an age of social media, doesn’t always happen. In other words, youngsters have to speak to each other, work together and develop real teamwork.”
Colin received his Certificate for Meritorious Service from the Lord Lieutenant, Angus Campbell, during ceremonies at South Walks House, Dorchester. Also awarded the Certificate for Meritorious Service were:
- Lieutenant Kerry Barker, of Weymouth, Dorset Army Cadet Force.
- Flt Lieutenant Jenny Child, of Christchurch, 2391 (Parkstone) Squadron, Air Training Corps.
- Janice Colin, of Wareham, 2182 (Dorchester) Squadron, ATC.
- WO Class 2 Steve Cullin, Royal Wessex Yeomanry, Bovington.
- Lt-Colonel Daniel Culley, of Wimborne, Canford School Combined Cadet Force.
- Mrs Elizabeth Humphreys, of Poole, Royal Wessex Yeomanry.
- Amy Parsonage, of Dorchester, admin officer, 6 Rifles.
- WO Class 2 Nigel Plumb, of Wareham, Royal Wessex Yeomanry.
- Tim Rich, of Wareham, 2182 (Dorchester) Squadron, Air Training Corps.