A formal ceremony has taken place to celebrate the renaming of a Swindon ACF Detachment.
Wiltshire ACF established a Detachment at Isambard Community School in 2012 after transferring from a nearby junior school that had limited space.
Isambard School changed its identity last year at the commencement of the
academic year and the ACF followed suit by changing the Detachment name to the ‘Abbey Park Detachment’. The Detachment is affiliated to the Royal Wessex Yeomanry (RWxY) and is sponsored by their Y Squadron, based at the Church Place Reserve Centre in Swindon. The Abbey Park ACF Detachment is under command of A Company Wiltshire ACF. There are currently 29 active Cadets parading at Abbey Park, with 5 Cadet Force Adult Volunteers (CFAV) in support.
With a change in School management the ACF are forming new relationships with the School’s Senior Management Team, who are positive about what the ACF can offer and also understand the beneficial effect the Cadet Force has on young people. Of the cadets that are enrolled with this ‘open’ Detachment, 15 (52%) are pupils at Abbey Park School, and a number are also members of the Wiltshire ACF Corps of Drums.
The evening started with a display from the Corps of Drums before the cadets marched into the School and were inspected by Mr Clive Zimmerman, Executive Principle of Abbey Park School and Lydiard Park Academy. Presentations were then made to the following cadets:
- Cadet Amy Covey. A member of the Wiltshire ACF Corps of Drums, Cadet Amy Covey was awarded a BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Teamwork, Personal Skills and Citizenship. She is a pupil at Swindon Academy.
- Cadet Corporal Bradley Drinkwater. A member of the Wilts ACF Corps of Drums, Cadet Corporal Bradley Drinkwater was awarded BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Teamwork, Personal Skills and Citizenship. Bradley is a pupil at Nova Hreod Academy.
- Cadet Lance Corporal Daniel Gillooley. A member of the Wiltshire ACF Corps of Drums, Cadet Lance Corporal Daniel Gillooley was awarded a Youth First Aid Certificate following successful completion of a St John Ambulance Coursealong with the BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Teamwork, Personal Skills and Citizenship. He is a pupil at Kingsdowne School.
- Cadet Lance Corporal Kaelin Moore. Cadet Lance Corporal Kaelin Moore is a member of Abbey Park ACF Detachment and was awarded a Youth First Aid Certificate following successful completion of a St John Ambulance Course. and also a BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Teamwork, Personal Skills and Citizenship. Kaelin attends Westlands School.
- Cadet Sergeant Andrew Willmott. Cadet Sgt Andrew Willmott is a member of Abbey Park ACF Detachment, and pupil at Abbey Park School, and was awarded a Health and Safety Executive First Aid at Work and Automatic External Defibrillator Certificate. He was also promoted to Cadet Staff Sergeant (second most senior Cadet in A Company).
- Cadet Staff Sergeant Daniel Smith. Cadet Staff Sergeant Daniel Smith also from Abbey Park School and a member of Abbey Park ACF Detachment was promoted to Cadet Company Sergeant Major.